It’s the MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!!
December is officially here and the holiday season is upon us! Throughout the month, we’ll be breaking down all of the best events and festivals throughout the Triangle area. From light displays and visits with Santa to local concerts and celebrations, there is something for every family to celebrate the best time of the year!
Preservation Chapel Hill Holiday Craft Sale – Horace Williams House-Chapel Hill
- Thursdays – Sundays through December 24th from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- This anticipated annual event features local artisans selling one-of-a-kind woodturning, pottery, and other wonderful gifts for your family and yourself, alike!
- While you don’t need a reservation to shop, the staff will be limiting how many people can shop inside at a time. If you find yourself waiting, enjoy all of the festive décors!
Twelve Days of Christmas – The Carolina Inn-Chapel Hill
- December 1st – January 3rd
- For the 23rd year, the Carolina Inn is proud to have found a way to continue their annual tradition of the Twelve Days of Christmas! Events taking place throughout this year’s festival are:
Hillsborough Holiday Wreath Stroll – Hillsborough
- Wreaths will be on display throughout the holiday season
- Throughout the holiday season, the residents and businesses are encouraged to show their holiday spirit by decorating a wreath and hanging it on their front door or window! Maps of the participating homes and businesses are available at the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough.
Winter Wonderland with Goats! – Spring Haven Farm-Chapel Hill
- Every Wednesday – Sunday from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm through Christmas
- You never have to wonder if you’re family is going to have a memorable day when visiting Spring Haven and their Winter Wonderland is no exception! They’ve transformed the farm into everything you could think of when you think of a perfect winter day, from a beautiful Christmas tree farm to a tractor train ride complete with hanging lights and sleigh bells! When the kids start to get hungry, enjoy a holiday treat inside the Snowflake Barn, where they can also write a letter to Santa! On top of all of the winter magic, you’ll also get to play with your favorite Spring Haven animals.
Magnum Family Christmas Lights – Hillsborough
- The lights will be on display in the evenings throughout the holiday season
- This Hillsborough family has a light show that will leave you speechless! Located on Guess Road, this show will quickly turn into a family tradition!
Holiday Market with Triangle Pop Up – The Honeysuckle-Chapel Hill
- Saturday, December 5th from 10:00am – 2:00pm
- This is the perfect opportunity to support local business while also getting into the holiday spirit! While you’re shopping for the perfect gifts, enjoy a draft mead or hot apple cider and relish in the breathtaking décor around the Honeysuckle. And don’t forget the furriest member of the family because dogs are welcome!
Merry Makers Market – The Community Market Place-Willow Spring
- Saturday, December 5th & 12th from 12:00pm – 5:00pm
- Get your Christmas shopping done and the perfect tree at the same market! You’ll find unique gifts and décor and a wonderful selection of trees for every home.
Hillsborough Hometown VIRTUAL Holiday Parade & Tree Lighting – Hillsborough
- Sunday, December 6th from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Due to current COVID conditions, the annual parade in Hillsborough will be held virtually this year, which is a relief for residents considering how many have been canceled altogether! To stream the parade, just log onto the Hillsborough Chamber of Commerce Facebook page and they will have a live link available!
Santa Claus is Coming to Maple View Farm Ice Cream – Hillsborough
- Santa will be visiting on December 7th, 14th & 21st from 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm
- While visiting with Santa is going to look a little different this year, Maple View Farm is doing everything they can to provide the kids in the area with the Christmas wonder that they all deserve! Guests will remain in their cars while they drive up to see Santa and his workers – the workers will collect the kids’ letters and Santa will make sure that they are put in his special holiday mailbox! Proceeds from ice cream purchased during Santa’s visits will go to Sam’s Wish Fund Holiday Cheer, a program that provides holiday gifts to children facing life-threatening illnesses.
14th Annual Elf Market – University Place-Chapel Hill
- Saturday, December 12th from 10:00am – 5:00pm & Sunday, December 13th from 12:00pm – 5:00pm
- The annual Elf Market is a great way to holiday shop while also participating in a good cause! Each year, The ArtsCenter raises funds through the market for their Youth Education Scholarships. This year, you’ll have access to handmade goods such as toys, décor, clothing, jewelry, art, food and so much more!
Chanukah Concert – Apex Nature Park & Amphitheatre-Apex
- Sunday, December 13th at 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm
- Enjoy live music by Tali Yess, a fire show, and a ceremonial menorah lighting while taking in the beauty of the Apex Amphitheater. While this is a free event, guests still have to RSVP online in order to enable proper social distancing.
Lantern Walk Weekend – Hillsborough
- Friday, December 18th – Sunday, December 20th.
- This self-guided tour will take you on a journey around Hillsborough as all of the homemade lanterns light up the town. Kits are available through the Hillsborough Arts Council, where you can also get a map of the tour.
S’mores & Bonfire – The Honeysuckle-Chapel Hill
- Friday, December 18th from 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Enjoy an evening by the fire at the Honeysuckle! S’mores kits are available to purchase (they will not be allowing carry-ins) for $6 and they include everything from the food supplies to the roasting stick. Don’t forget to enjoy some of their locally made cider and mulled mead!
- Masks are required for this event.
While it might seem like the holiday season is just getting started, before you know it the new year will be here! So, make sure you take in every minute and enjoy this time with your family making unforgettable memories to end an unforgettable year.