When it comes to looking for a new home, and possibly a new town, affordability is almost always the first thing that buyers think about. After all, we all have a budget to stick to. However, there are many other factors that come into play when looking for the ideal location for your new home. Is the neighborhood child and family-friendly? How are the schools? Is there enough to do around town? All of these are significant questions to ask when looking for a new home and the answers reaffirm that you should look no further than Chapel Hill!
An Impressive School District
If the quality of the school district is your biggest concern, then there is no question that Chapel Hill is the best place for you! The Chapel Hill/Carrboro School District is guaranteed to give your children the best education in the area. in fact, the district has been ranked as the best in all of North Carolina! It also ranks in the top 10 in crucial categories such as safety and teaching staff. In total, the district consists of 11 elementary, 4 middle and 3 high schools, all of which have an A or A+ rating.
Search for Chapel Hill homes by specific schools here.
Keys for a Quality Lifestyle
There are many factors that contribute to a town offering an ideal lifestyle for both individuals and families. Chapel Hill is full of attributes significant for both well-being and socialization. This proud town offers everything you’d expect out of small-town charm, yet somehow manages to surround its residents with big-city amenities.
- Dining – Overall, the nightlife is Chapel Hill is considered to be an A+. Downtown Chapel Hill offers countless restaurants and bars that light up the night as you get closer to campus. Not into the nightlife? The town still has you covered! From casual brunch to the finest dining (there are even several James Beard Award-winning restaurants to choose from!), the hundreds of locally-owned restaurants, bars, cafes, and breweries, both downtown and throughout its prestigious neighborhoods, will have you feeling at home in no time!
- Parks and Rec – The Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Department offers an abundance of activities for young children and adults, alike. With almost 20 different, meticulously maintained, parks around town, there is ample opportunity for organized sports, various clubs, and general exercise. There are also 7 different city-owned trails throughout town, as well as multiple dog parks, swimming pools, and 8 prestigious golf courses.
- Abundant culture – Get lost in the culture and entertainment of the Morehead Planetarium, the North Carolina Botanical Garden, the Sonya Haynes Stone Center, and the Ackland Art Museum.
You can find even more venues, dining, shopping, hotels and more on our Recommended Links page on our website.
An Abundance of Neighborhoods to Choose From
This is, perhaps, just as important to many buyers as the school district. In fact, they often go hand-in-hand. Many cities and towns are divided by neighborhoods but few have as many prestigious, diverse and impressive neighborhoods as Chapel Hill offers. Here are some of the key neighborhoods in town:
- Claremont – Overall, one of the most sought-after neighborhoods in town. Families in many different economic situations have found the perfect home for their family in the comfort of the Claremont neighborhood. Often thought of as the heart of Chapel Hill, you’ll find the best schools, meticulous parks, and restaurants, all within walking distance.
- Village West– A beautiful townhome community blended perfectly with the gorgeous natural surroundings of the area. Offering a fantastic location with great amenities.
- Both the Governor’s Club and The Oaks are prestigious golf communities that pamper and accommodate their residents in both recreation opportunities and show-stopping views.
- The Preserve at Jordan Lake – nestled along Jordan Lake, this neighborhood boasts mature landscaping and views, while also being within walking distance to the best restaurants and shops that the town has to offer. Once you live in this neighborhood, you’ll surely never want to leave!
Find your dream home in your ideal Chapel Hill neighborhood here!
Other Key Attributes that Make Chapel Hill the Perfect Town to Call Home
- The University of Chapel Hill – One of the top 10 universities in the country directly in your backyard! Not only is the university overall one of the top schools in the nation but it is also considered to be in the top 5 for athletics. UNC provides the residents of Chapel Hill with so much from entertainment to education, as well as an ample amount of career opportunities for individuals of all ages and expertise!
- Commute Time – Commuting is often a make-or-break for buying a house in a particular area. Those looking to make Chapel Hill home will be happy to know that the commute time both within the town and to its neighboring cities of Raleigh and Durham is much shorter than the national average. Commuters in Chapel Hill can expect to spend about 19 minutes commuting, one-way to work, while the national average is nearly 27 minutes one-way.
While looking for an affordable house within your family’s price range will always remain at the top of your priority list, remember to keep in mind the community, and all of its attributes, in which you hope to call home. With everything Chapel Hill has to offer, on top of affordability, it’s no wonder why it’s considered one of the best places to live both in Orange County and the state!